Every cent, every dollar sent to CASA makes a difference in the lives of hurting children:
• It helps train a CASA volunteer to stand up for an abused child in court • Helps a neglected child find a “forever” adoptive home
• Helps a drug addicted baby visit safely with her parents • Helps a run away teen to break the cycle of abuse
100% of your donation dollars go directly to services for abused, neglected and high risk children.
Board of Directors
HOLIDAY APPEAL LETTER
November 24, 2017
What a year! CASA has given thousands of services to hurting children and families. Kids have been kept safe. Broken families have been healed. Children have been lovingly guided through painful journeys. Courthouse CASA dogs have comforted aching hearts. Adoptive forever families have been found.
With your generous support, the many programs that CASA offers will help provide care and assistance for abused, neglected, and high risk children. Please help me make a difference in these children’s lives. Join us in giving generously this holiday season. Our hurting children deserve the most we can contribute!
The need is critical.
For the Children,
GIFT ACCEPTANCE POLICY
- Acceptance of any contribution, gift or grant is at the discretion of the Chaves County CASA Program. The Chaves County CASA Program will not accept any gift unless it can be used or expended consistently with the purpose and mission of the Chaves County CASA Program.
- No irrevocable gift, whether outright or life-income in character, will be accepted if under any reasonable set of circumstances the gift would jeopardize the donor’s financial security.
- The Chaves County CASA Program will refrain from providing advice about the tax or other treatment of gifts and will encourage donors to seek guidance from their own professional advisors to assist them in the process of making their donation.
- The Chaves County CASA Program will accept donations of cash or publicly traded securities. Gifts of in-kind services will be accepted at the discretion of the Chaves County CASA Program.
- Certain other gifts, real property, personal property, in-kind gifts, non-liquid securities, and contributions whose sources are not transparent or whose use is restricted in some manner, must be reviewed prior to acceptance due to the special obligations raised or liabilities they may pose for the Chaves County CASA Program.
- The Chaves County CASA Program will provide acknowledgments to donors meeting IRS substantiation requirements for property received by the charity as a gift. However, except for gifts of cash and publicly traded securities, no value shall be ascribed to any receipt or other form of substantiation of a gift received by Chaves County CASA Program.
- The Chaves County CASA Program will respect the intent of the donor relating to gifts for restricted purposes and those relating to the desire to remain anonymous. With respect to anonymous gifts, the Chaves County CASA Program will restrict information about the donor to only those staff members with a need to know.
- The Chaves County CASA Program will not compensate, whether through commissions, finders’ fees, or other means, any third party for directing a gift or a donor to the Chaves County CASA Program.
*From the national Council on Non-Profits
Chaves County CASA is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit recognized by the IRS.
Chaves County CASA is 100% in compliance with the standards of:
The National CASA Association
National Children’s Alliance
The National Supervised Visitation Network
The New Mexico CASA Network
The New Mexico Supervised Visitation Network
Tax ID # 85-0375943
Chaves County CASA is a GuideStar listed charityClick here for the latest Auditor's Report
Click here for the latest 990
GIFTS OF STOCKIf you own stock, it is almost always more tax-wise to contribute stock than cash. A gift of appreciated stock generally offers a two-fold tax saving. First, you avoid paying any capital gains tax on the increase in value of the stock. Secondly, you receive an income tax charitable deduction for the full fair market value of the stock at the time of the gift. Make sure you have owned the stock for a “long-term” period of time (this generally means that you have held the stock for more than one year) to qualify for these significant tax advantages. Your gift stock should be postmarked by December 31. In the alternative, a stock broker or trust officer can arrange for a year-end gift of stock from your account.
GIFTS OF REAL ESTATEA residence, vacation home, farm, acreage, or vacant lot may have so appreciated in value through the years that its sale would mean a sizable capital gains tax. By making a year-end gift of this property instead, you would avoid the capital gains tax, and, at the same time, receive a charitable deduction for the full fair market value of the property. It is also possible to make a gift of your home, farm, or vacation home so that you and your spouse can continue to use it for your lifetimes – while you receive a tax deduction. Please give us a call for details.
LIFE INCOME GIFTSIf you are considering a major gift, a “life income” gift may be an excellent year-end gift. Such a gift can increase your own income! You could transfer cash or stock to us and establish a “charitable remainder unitrust” or charitable remainder annuity trust” that would provide you with 5% or greater annual return. This income would be paid to you and/or a loved one for life, after which the assets would be distributed to us. Through such an arrangement, you would be increasing you income and making a meaningful (and tax-deductible) contribution to us at the same time.
BEQUESTSWhile you’re considering tax savings, this may also be a good time to consider long-term tax savings. The federal estate tax can still take approximately 40% to 50% of one’s estate at the time of death. That’s a higher tax bite than the income tax! It definitely pays to do some advance planning with your attorney and other professional advisors. We hope you will consider a charitable bequest in your will – to benefit us while you save estate tax dollars at the same time.